CATPA COWMUNICATOR – April 2017
IMPORTANT INFORMATION INCLUDED
- At the Annual General Meeting last year, the membership was very clear in the request to increase the number of riders in the open. There were only a few members competing many times each, therefore being very hard on their horses and also on their wallets. To help with increasing the entry numbers, we added a handicap so that all teams numbered under 21 would be given a ½ second handicap per number. So an 8 numbered team was given a 6.5 second advantage. It did not work, the entries were not increased.
WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT FOR THIS SHOW ONLY, WE HAVE MADE SOME ADDITIONAL CHANGES:
- The handicap will be increased to 1 second per number under 21. This carries thru the half back and the top ten, giving that team a 13 second handicap on each of the 3 runs.
- There will be $1500 added each day to the open and limited open classes.
Between the 10 and the youth classes, we will have a riders meeting to gain input from our members about how they would like us to proceed for future shows. It is important that everyone contributes, not just the open riders as it affects each of us as members. Please come prepared to express what you think may be possible solutions for this problem. The larger numbered riders are important to the club for mentor-ship, guidance, and to help us grow our skills.
GET YOUR ENTRIES IN, YOU TOO COULD WIN THE OPEN!
PRE-SHOW COWMUNICATOR FOR APRIL 8 & 9
Just a few important items for the upcoming weekend. It should be two great days.
- START TIME IS 9 AM
- Entries close tomorrow at 8PM. Don’t forget that the open class is handicapped with a ½ second handicap for every number that your team is under 21. This will be a very interesting class.
- The office is in training mode as we have two new office folks this year. Please be patient with them while they learn.
- There will be a “volunteer board” in the office area so please sign yourself up for any activities available. Thanks in advance for everyone’s help.
- The spare rider board will also be posted for riders to put their names on.
- Don’t forget the potluck that will happen right after the show on Saturday. Please bring a casserole, salad or dessert if you are planning to stay. We have plates and cutlery for everyone.
- There will be a “mystery event” after the show with a very low entry fee and 80% payout.
SEE EVERYONE SATURDAY. IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE ALL OF OUR PENNING FRIENDS THAT WE HAVE NOT SEEN OVER THE WINTER.
A HUGE thank you to all that took part in our 2017 Beginners Clinic which was a great success. Thank you to all the clinicians that provided instruction over the two days; Ron Marcinek, Jerry Houghton, Tom Thorlakson, Laura Kokesch, Brad Richardson & Rebecca Kingston. They all provided the participants pointers and guidance to improve their penning and horsemanship skills.
A special thanks to Jerry & Lena Houghton of Summit Equestrian and Tom Thorlakson for the use of their wonderful facilities over the weekend.
2017 Rules and Regulations page have been updated
Please go to the sponsor page to check out our 2017 sponsor package.
Don Badry is unable to pen this up and coming year due to a horse accident that has left him with a broken neck/back. He has asked to post and let everyone know as he does not have everyone’s contacts and is unable to come back home at this time. He is bound and determined to rest up and be ready for the end of the year. Please send healing thoughts his way.
10 cLASS / 8 INCENTIVE
- You may enter up to 5 times within the 10/8 Class – You must have at least 1 within the other. For example: you can have 4 – 10s with 1 – 8, 4 – 8s with 1 – 10, 3 – 10s with 2 – 8s etc.
- The regular 10 Class entry fee is $45
- The 8 Incentive entry fee is $55
- If you enter the 8 Incentive you have a chance to win that extra pot of money. The extra $10 you pay is 100% payback.
- You do not HAVE to enter the 8 Incentive is your team is rated 8 or less within the 10 class. You can pay the regular $45 but then you will not be eligible to win the 8 Incentive extra money.
- The points will all go toward the 10 class as a whole, there are no separate points
- Any Questions/Concerns contact Jerry Houghton
OPEN CLASS & OPEN LTD are now handicapped with half a second off for every number under 21. You may now change out only 1 rider and enter 4 times in each the open and the open ltd. Also note there will be no points calculated throughout the year for the Open/Open Ltd handicap class.
Get your 2017 Memberships in early to get the discounted rate. Pay now to save $25 off your 2017 membership. New membership forms are on the membership page.
I know that many of our members are concerned about the volunteer levy and that the tasks might not be something they would choose to do. Please look at list of just a few of the items below that we will need help with throughout the year and think about how you may be willing to support the club. For the most part, many of you are helping in various ways already.
- Opening and closing the gate for the riders.
- Settling cattle.
- Putting up or taking down banners.
- Cleaning up bottles and garbage at the end of the show.
- Organizing the stall assignment for one show.
- Assisting with the medical team in case of an incident.
- Timing, announcing, or judging the youth classes.
- Helping at the year end celebration.
- Putting up orders of go etc. for the office staff.
- Running judging sheets to the office.
Because CATPA is putting on all of the shows ourselves this year, the volunteers are an important and essential part of the team. We appreciate everyone’s effort.
TWO PLUS CLASS-FUN! FUN! FUN!
In the spirit of having a bit of fun, some of the penning organizations have implemented what is called a “2 PLUS” class. This is strictly a draw class, with two number 1 penners riding with a higher numbered penner. The #1s pay the regular $25 entry fee and the higher number pays $10. The payouts are 35% to each of the #1’s and 30% to the higher number. There are no cattle charges for the class, it is a jackpot event with 80% payout. We will take entries on the Saturday of the first show and run the class after the 5 class. Those who have participated tell us that it is a great class and one that you would want to be a part of.
PLEASE NOTE IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ENTER YOUR TEAM ON THE ENTRY PAGE BECAUSE YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE DROP DOWN LIST PLEASE EMAIL IT TO email@example.com SO WE CAN MAKE SURE WE HAVE ENOUGH CATTLE FOR THE SHOW WHEN WE GET OUR TOTAL NUMBERS TOGETHER
Due to insurance reasons, memberships MUST be paid before anyone is to enter the arena at any show. This includes warming up. So please if you have not already, be sure to get your membership forms filled out and in ASAP.
Hope to see you at the show.
To All Members:
The CATPA board would like to ask if there are members who have valuable medical skills should there be an unfortunate incident at any of our shows. If you possess any skills of this nature and would like to be part of a team to assist in the event of an emergency, please let us know. It would certainly be an opportunity to meet your volunteer hours. Thanks and let us know if you are willing to be a part of this important team. Thanks so much for your support in this important endeavor.
Visit our Sponsors page, support those who generously support CATPA. If you would like to be a sponsor or if you know someone who would, please contact a director, or check out our CATPA Sponsorship packages 2016.
The rules and regulations must be read and understood by all members. There are several changes for 2017. Read them all and don’t say you didn’t know!!!